Menu

1890s

C1890: Henri Jean de Beyers arrives in the Hunter from Roma in Queensland and takes up a grant of land in Ekerts Road which he plants with grapes: probably Verdelho but also Semillon and Shiraz.

1890s: Allandale Winery operating with a capacity of 2.35 million litres (518,000 gallons) making it the one of the largest in the Hunter.

1890s: Macarthur's Camden vineyard grubbed out after infestation of phylloxera discovered there.

1882: 15 year old Audrey Wilkinson takes over running the Oakdale vineyard and wine making.

1889 Hawkesbury River Railway Bridge opened connecting Brisbane to Newcastle and Sydney by rail.

1893: William Elliott establishes Oakvale on an old dairy farm on Broke Road.

1893: John Younie (JY) Tulloch accepts a 43 acre parcel of land in Pokolbin in exchange for a debt; he names the property Glen Elgin. He already has land holdings in the area and buys more, extending the existing but neglected vineyard. His son Hector is born the same year.

1893: James Lynch buys the Brokenback Vineyard from the Merewether Estate.

1893: Albert Stevens established Glen Oak on Marrowbone Road, purchased from Arthur Kelman.

1894: The Lindeman family starts to buy wine from McDonald's Ben Ean vineyard. Over the next 16 years Lindeman's buy over 250,000 gallons (1.13 million litres) from McDonald.

1895: JY Tulloch plants vineyard and builds winery at Glen Elgin: specialises in fortified wines.